The Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) is an employment bridging program during summer or Christmas vacation that aims to augment the family’s income of poor, but deserving students, OSY, or dependents of displaced workers who intend to finish their education. The Special Program for Employment of Students is a program created under Republic Act 7323, series of 1999, as amended by Republic Act 9547.
The Republic Act No. 77323 is an act to help poor, but deserving students pursue their education by encouraging their employment during summer and/or Christmas vacations, through incentives granted to employers. Employers are allowed to pay only 60% of their salaries or wages while the 40% through education vouchers shall be paid by the government. Employment should be at the Labor Exchange Center of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
The SPES beneficiaries either working in private of public establishments are entitled to an insurance coverage for a period of 1 year on or before the start of the SPES working day. The Department of Labor and Employment shall pay the corresponding premium to the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) as the service provider for the SPES beneficiaries’ insurance coverage.
The employment of students under the SPES shall be covered by an Employment Contract (SPES Form 5) between the employer and the student in a manner and form prescribed by DOLE. The student shall present the education voucher as payment of tuition fee and/or books as intended under the SPES law.
The education voucher refers to any financial instrument used by DOLE to pay the 40% salary of the student beneficiary, which shall not be lower than the applicable minimum wage for private employers or hiring rate for the national, and local government agencies, as the case may be.
The students shall report for work based on the schedule indicated in the employment contract, and perform the tasks and activities assigned by the employer. The student shall adhere to the company policies or rules and regulations of the employer.
Employment of SPES shall be any time of the year, but in no less than 20 working days or more than 52 working within a period of 1 year. In all cases, the period of employment shall not exceed 52 working days within 1 year.
- At least 15 but not more than 30 years of age
- Students must have obtained at least an average passing grade during the last semester or school year attended. For OSY, they must be duly certified as OSY
- Combined net income after tax of parents, including the student’s own income shall not exceed the regional poverty threshold
- Any dependent of displaced or about to be displaced workers due to business closure or work stoppage as reported to DOLE, may also apply under the SPES provided the student meets the qualifications under first and second items mentioned above
Read more here, http://ble.dole.gov.ph/downloads/SPES/SPES_Flyer.pdf
Or read the PDF belowSPES_Flyer
- Duly accomplished SPES Application Form (SPES Form 2)
- Copy of birth certificate or any official document showing the student/ OSY’s date of birth
- Copy of the parent’s latest Income Tax Return (ITR) or Certificate of Tax Exemption (CTE) issued by the BIR, or Certificate of Low Income or Certification of Indigence issued by the barangay or SWDO
- Average passing grade as indicated in Form 138 report card or certification by the school registrar as to passing grade
- For OSY, a certification as OSY issued by the barangay or the city/ municipality/ provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (SWDO) where the OSY resides
- The student shall be paid in the form of cash. Except for the low income LGU’s, the employer shall shoulder 60% of the applicable minimum wage or hiring rate, while the remaining 40% shall be paid by DOLE.
- SPES beneficiaries either working in private/ pubic establishments, are entitled to an insurance coverage for a period of one year.
Where to apply?
Public Employment Service Office (PESO) having jurisdiction over their residence.
For more information about this program, please visit the nearest PESO in your area or, the DOLE Regional, Provincial and District Offices, or call the
Bureau of Local Employment
Telephone: 02 528 0101 or 02 527 2453