Emergency Financial Assistance For Americans In Philippines

If you are a United States citizen in need of emergency financial assistance, please refer to the State Department’s page for emergency financial assistance for US citizens living and traveling abroad. The Office of Overseas Citizens Services in the U.S. Department of State, (888) 407-4747 (or from overseas +1 202-501-4444) can assist U.S. citizens who are temporarily destitute abroad because of an unanticipated emergency. If you find yourself in such a situation, here are some options:


Contacting Home: U.S. citizens in need of emergency financial assistance while abroad should first attempt to contact their family, friends, banking institution, or employer in the United States, or in their place of residence abroad, for financial help.



The American Citizen Services unit in the Consular Section of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can assist in this effort. U.S. embassy and consulate contact information is available in Country Specific Information pages


Wiring Money Directly: You, or your family, friends, or associates, may wire money directly to a U.S. citizen abroad by contacting Western Union, MoneyGram, or other similar commercial money transfer services with offices overseas.



There are money transfer cost comparison tools online to help you identify your best option. The person receiving the money will need to present proof of identity such as a passport. See information about replacement of lost or stolen U.S. passports abroad.


Western Union. All transactions must be processed through Western Union’s Quick Collect Service. Be aware that some U.S. states place restrictions on the use of the Quick Collect Service by phone or the Internet.


Some states also restrict the amount of funds any one person can transfer within a given period of time. Western Union can inform you which states have such restrictions.


Note:  Western Union will charge you a money transfer fee based on the dollar amount you are sending. Ask about their fee structure. Their fee is separate from and in addition to the $30 processing fee that the U.S. Department of State charges to set up an account.


There are three ways to send money to the U.S. Department of State by Western Union:

Call Western Union’s Quick Collect Customer Service at 1-800-238-5772. Please provide the following information to the agent:


  1. The “code city” for the U.S. Department of State is, – “OVERSEASEMERGENCY DC.”


  1. The “pay to” name is – “U.S. Department of State, Overseas Citizens Services (OCS).”


  1. The “account number” requested should be the name of the country where the funds are intended and the recipient’s last name. i.e. China-Douglas, France-Johnson, etc.


  1. Provide the agent with the full name and location (city and country) of the U.S. citizen for whom the funds are intended.


Internet: If you have a MasterCard or Visa credit card, visit Western Union’s website or call Western Union’s Quick Collect Customer Service at 1-800-238-5772 for processing assistance. See this page, https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/abroad/legal-matters/benefits/sending-money/WU-internet-instructions.html


In Person Cash Payments: If you want to process a Quick Collect transaction using cash, you can visit any Western Union location in person.  Call 1-800-325-6000 to find the Western Union location nearest you. Request a Quick Collect form and complete fields #1 and #2 only. Once both fields are completed sign the form.


The Corporate Contact information of Western Union is

Corporate Headquarters

12500 E. Belford Ave

Englewood, CO 80112

Telephone: +1-720-332-1000




Your Bank: A destitute U.S. citizen abroad who has depleted his/her bank account or reached an overdraft limit can arrange for friends or family to deposit additional funds in his/her account. This option allows the traveler to use an ATM card to access the replenished account quickly.


Your Credit Card Company: Your credit card company may be able to increase your credit limit temporarily. Report a lost/stolen credit card immediately to your credit card company. Your credit card company may be able to send you a new card using an express delivery service.


Your credit card company may also be able to verify your credit card account directly to your hotel, airline, doctor, or hospital to enable you to check out of your hotel, obtain replacement airline tickets, or receive other emergency services. A person receiving funds and/or a new credit card may need to present proof of identity such as a passport.


See information about replacement of lost or stolen U.S. passports abroad. Inquire about the benefits your credit card company provides you overseas before you travel abroad.


Bank to Bank Transfers: It may be possible to transfer money directly from a bank in the United States to a bank in the foreign country where the U.S. citizen can receive the funds. Some foreign banks require that the U.S. citizen establish a foreign bank account to use this option. Bank to bank transfers can take several days to accomplish.


Sending Money Through the U.S. Department of State: When commercial options are not available, or their use is not feasible due to the circumstance of the emergency, family or friends may send funds to the Department of State for delivery to a destitute U.S. citizen abroad through the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.


See Sending Money Overseas to a U.S. Citizen. The Department of State assesses a $30.00 fee to establish an account and transfer funds. For additional information, contact the U.S. Department of State, Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management, at (888) 407-4747.



Destitute U.S. citizens in need of help overseas should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate or the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at (888) 407-4747 (or from overseas +1 202-501-4444), for information about other assistance options and eligibility requirements.


For medical assistance, consult the nearest Embassy’s website for a list of hospitals and doctors in your location overseas. Your hotel concierge may also be a good resource. The availability and quality of medical services available can vary greatly depending on your location.


Read the Medical Facilities and Health Information section in Country Specific Information pages. Review the Medical Insurance page for information about medical coverage abroad, air ambulances, and medical evacuation companies.


Limited emergency medical funding assistance may be available on a reimbursable (loan) basis for eligible temporarily destitute U.S. citizens and their qualified dependents. Your U.S. passports will be limited at the time loan funds are issued and in most cases, you will not be issued a new passport until the loan is paid in full.



Embassies and Consulates in Philippines

U.S. Embassy Manila

1201 Roxas Boulevard

Manila, Philippines 1000

Telephone: +(63)(2) 301-2000

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(63)(2) 301-2000 x0

Fax: (63) (2) 301-2017

Email:  acsinfomanila@state.gov



U.S. Consular Agency – Cebu City

Ground Level, Waterfront Hotel

Salinas Drive, Lahug, Cebu City

Philippines 6000

Telephone: (63)(32) 231-1261

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila: +(63)(2) 301-2000 x0

Fax: +(63) (32) 231-0174

Email: ACSInfoCebu@state.gov



Read full information here https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/financial-assistance.html


See US Embassy & Consulate Philippines info here https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/philippines.html


Read more https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/emergency-financial-assistance/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *