Marriage Between A Filipina And A Muslim Foreigner In Philippines, What You Need To Know

If the foreign contracting party and the Filipino contracting party intend to get married in the Philippines, they are to submit all documentary requirements instead to the Civil Registrar of the municipality or city in the Philippines where the marriage is to take place upon their application for a marriage license. It is highly recommended the foreign contracting party prepare certified true copies (with English translations if necessary) of his or her passport, national identification card, and family book. Originals must also be brought along during the trip to the Philippines.


May I remind you, that getting married in the Philippines is not an easy process. If you are under the age of 18, you cannot get married in the Philippines even if your parents are okay with the marriage. You must be at least 21 years old to get married in the Philippines without parental consent. However, you should read this

“If you are between the age of 21 and 25, you must ask your parents or guardian for advice of the intended marriage. If they do not send any advice, or are unfavorable of the union, no marriage license shall be issued until after 3 months following the completion of the publication of the application.”


Article 10 of the Family Code of the Philippines states that marriages between Filipino citizens abroad may be solemnized by a consul general, consul, or vice consul of the Republic of the Philippines. The issuance of the marriage license and the duties of the local civil registrar and of the solemnizing officer with regards to the celebration of marriage shall be performed by the said consular official.


To save time and avoid any major inconveniences, the foreign contracting party is advised to make sure that the following requirements are ready before traveling to the Philippines:




Requirements of the foreign contracting party

  1. Original birth certificate (with official English translation if in other language) of foreign contracting party duly authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of his or her country and this Embassy’s Consular Section;


  1. Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage to be issued by the Embassy or Consulate in the Philippines of the foreign contracting party; and


  1. Written consent of first wife (if foreign contracting party is a previously married Muslim man) duly notarized and authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and/or Embassy of foreign contracting party in Jordan




  • Once the foreign contracting party has arrived in the Philippines, he or she shall apply with the Filipino contracting party for a marriage license at the Civil Registrar of the place where the marriage is to take place;


  • The marriage license is not required for those who are getting married under the Islamic faith;


  • Please note that not all religious officials (e.g. priests, imams, rabbis, ministers) are authorized to solemnize marriages, but only those who are registered with the Civil Registrar-General;


  • Keep in mind also that issuance of the marriage license has to comply with the ten (10) day publication period; and


  • Finally, note that the requirements presented here pertain only to the civil aspect of marriage under Philippine law and that those who intend to have a church wedding or marriage rites under other religions may have to comply with additional requirements.



Here is a PDF that you may read for more information, about the rules and regulations governing registration of acts and events concerning civil status of Muslim Filipinos, from




You may want to read more about the decree called as the Code of Muslim Personal Laws of the Philippines. The state considers the customs, traditions, beliefs and interests of national cultural communities in the formulation and implementation of state policies. The state also recognizes the legal system of the Muslims in the land as part of the law and seeks to make the Islamic institutions more effective.


Read more



Documentary requirements for a foreign national intending to marry a Filipino spouse in the Philippines

  1. Certificate of no impediment (CNI) to marry. You can obtain this from the Registrar’s Office in the prospective foreign spouse’s place of residence.


  1. Original copy or certified true copy of birth certificate


  1. Original copy or certified true copy of divorce decree absolute or death certificate of deceased spouse, if applicable


  1. A Moral Character Reference, which takes the form of a letter or certificate from a person of authority, a social worker, health or education officer, or a church minister who has direct personal knowledge of the prospective foreign spouse’s character as well as background.





All of the above specified documents must be submitted to the prospective foreign spouse’s Embassy/ Consulate in the Philippines upon arrival. The Embassy/ Consulate will then issue a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry to the prospective foreign spouse.


The prospective foreign spouse, together with the Filipino contracting party, may then apply for a marriage license at the Office of the Civil Registrar where the Filipino contracting party habitually resides. The Civil Registrar, after receiving such application, is required by law to put on public notice about the intended marriage for a period of ten consecutive days.


During this ten day public notice, both the contracting parties shall not be allowed to leave the Philippines, as objection to the intended marriage may be raised by any person. No marriage license shall be issued until this requirement has been fully satisfied.



Legal and formal marriage requisites in the Philippines

  1. Legal capacity of the contracting parties who must be a male and a female


  1. Consent freely given in the presence of the solemnizing officer


  1. Authority of the solemnizing officer


  1. The marriage ceremony must take place with the appearance of the contracting parties before the solemnizing officer and their personal declaration that they take each other as husband and wife in the presence of not less that two witnesses of legal age


  1. A valid marriage license


Read more here

6 thoughts on “Marriage Between A Filipina And A Muslim Foreigner In Philippines, What You Need To Know

  1. Hi ms shirley, i’m married to a muslim foreigner. We had our marriage in uae. We want to marry in philippines again, do we still need this documents?

    1. Hello Ms. Maryam, you are already married in the UAE. If you changed your status you can present the marriage license you had in UAE. If only a blessing for the church, you can show your marriage license to the church and inquire if they need more. You get married only once, the next marriage between you too would just be a blessing if I am not mistaken. Just like what happens when you reach your 10th wedding anniversary and you re-express or renew your wedding vows? I think it would be like that.

  2. Hello Miss
    I sent you few messages on Twitter will you please check your mentioned Twitter account here, please visit your inbox on twiter,

  3. Hello im im from philippines im not a muslim im married in phil..but we r separated at 18 yrs from now.and i dont have money for annullment…i want to know if i can married in a muslim..coz my boyfriend is muslim. What requirement for need it for married in muslim..thanks

    1. You should get your annulment first. It is against the law to marry in Muslim rites if you are still married with another man. Fix your first marriage first.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *