The British Council in the Philippines is working in partnership with the Government of the Philippines to deliver programmes under the Newton Agham Fund that benefit Filipino researchers. The British Council and the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) will co-fund the Newton PhD Scholarships. The programme will be managed in partnership by British Council and the HE International Unit, together with the Commission on Higher Education.
The aim of the Newton PhD programme is to facilitate the capacity of individuals, and the building of sustainable, long lasting links between UK and the Philippine institutions, through PhD scholarships. The Newton Adham Programme will provide £3 million from 2016 to develop science and innovation partnerships that promote the economic development and social welfare of the Philippines.
The Newton Fund was extended from 2019 to 2021 with an expanded fund of £150 million each year, leading to a total of £735 million UK investment to 2021, with partner countries providing matched resources within the fund. The scholarship is open to students who are eligible to apply for the Foreign Scholarships for Graduate Studies for Faculty and Staff during the K to 12 Transition Period.
- A Filipino citizen and must be in the first five years of their research career
- Be a faculty or staff member of a Philippine higher education institution (HEI)
- Have a Master’s degree in a related field
- Be in good health, as certified by licensed medical doctor
- Have no pending criminal and administrative charges or must not have been convicted for violation of any Philippine law. Certification must be obtained from the National Bureau of Investigation.
- Pass all screening procedures, including formal acceptance to a PhD programme in a UK university
- Fulfill all the Terms and Conditions of the grant, including a return service obligation
The CHED covers the following costs
- Travel visa, plane tickets, and insurance fees
- Monthly accommodation and living allowance for the duration of the study
The Newton Agham Programme covers the following costs
- Tuition fees at the UK institution
- One time grant for consumables and special needs costs, maximum of £3,000
see the PDF below for more informationnewtonphdscholarships_2016guidelines-v3
Newton Programme Manager
10F Taipan Place, F. Ortigas Jr. Road
Ortigas Centre, Pasig City 1605 Philippines
Telephone: 02 555 3067
The K to 12 Transition Management Unit
Commission on Higher Education
HEDC Building, CP Garcia Avenue
Diliman, Quezon City 1101, Philppines
Telephone: 02 441 0927