The OFWDSP is an educational assistance to qualified dependents of active OWWA-member OFWs who intend to pursue any 4 or 5 year baccalaureate degree or associate degree in state college or university. The scholarship shall be in the form of financial assistance of P20,000.00 per year. Scholarship program to dependent of OFW whose income is not more than US$400.00.
Each OWWA active member is entitled to only 1 scholarship beneficiary. OFW couples who are both eligible for the program shall be entitled to only 1 scholarship slot. Eligible OFW dependent who are previous availees of the EDSP and CMWSP are no longer qualified under the ODSP.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) now accepts application for the scholarship program for overseas Filipino workers’ dependents who are currently enrolled in college. The Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) has been expanded to include admission of OFW legal dependents are now in their second to fifth year in college.
The scholarship program provides P60,000 financial assistance to qualified OFW legal dependents, who should be a child of a married OFW-member; or sibling of a single or childless OFW-member. The OFW should also be an active OWWA member. If membership is expired, it should be within the six-month extension period.
Only six scholarship slots per province are available. Hence, interested qualified applicants are advised to submit their application the soonest, as acceptance and admission is on a ‘first-come, first-served basis.’
Every year, a total of 1,250 scholarship slots are allocated, thus;
- 200 scholars for the slots of 10 poorest provinces
- 204 scholars for 17 cities at 12 scholars each
- 840 scholars for 80 provinces at 12 scholars each
- 6 slots for applicants with meritorious cases c/o Home Office/ROCS
- Legal dependents of an active OWWA member-OFW whose monthly salary is US$400 or below
- Legal dependent refers to only 1 child of married or single or only 1 sibling of member-OFW
- Qualified legal dependent must be single and not more than 21 years old
- He/she must be a high school graduate, physically, mentally and morally fit
- He/she must pass the entrance examination conducted by state college/university in OWWA Regional Offices where she intends to enroll
- The dependent-applicant must not be a recipient of any other scholarship grants
- Accomplished Application Form (2 copies)
- 2×2 ID Photos (2 copies)
- Proof of relationship to OWWA member (e.g. PSA or Local Civil Registry (LCR)-authenticated birth certificate and certificate of no marriage, if OFW is single)
- Form 137 for incoming first year college or Transcript of Records or Certificate of Grades for those already enrolled in college
- Medical certificate/clearance from any DOH-accredited hospital/center/clinic
- Certificate of Good Moral Character issued by the principal/guidance counselor
- Accomplished original copy of the Scholarship Agreement
There are five education and training programs offered by OWWA; Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP), Skills-for-Employment Scholarship Program (SESP), Seafarers’ Upgrading Program (SUP), DOLE-OWWA-Tulay Microsoft Project and Tuloy-Aral Project.
Those who are interested to the scholarship programs available to senior high school students who are dependents of overseas Filipino workers can submit the documentary requirements to OWWA regional offices. Member-OFWs with dependents based in Jeddah and Riyadh in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Manama, Bahrain may submit applications to OWWA’s overseas posts in the Middle East.
For inquiries, the OWWA Regional Welfare Office I may be reached at 0908 863 4300 / 0908 863 4250 / 09727 620 7300, or email at email@example.com.
See the list of OWWA offices here, http://www.owwa.gov.ph/?q=content/contact-us
Read about the program here, http://www.owwa.gov.ph/?q=content/programs-services