EDSP is a scholarship grant offered to qualified dependents or beneficiaries of active OWWA members. It is in a form of financial assistance of up to P60,000.00 per school year. If qualified, your child may enroll in any four- or five-year baccalaureate course in any preferred college or university.
Application for EDSP starts every June of each school year. Deadline of submission of application will be every first week of August or as prescribed by ROCS. Only one per family of an active OWWA member is eligible for this program.
Your child (dependent-applicant) must not be a recipient of other scholarship grants and has not taken EDSP qualifying examination and any post-secondary, vocational, or undergraduate units in college. All qualified applicants shall be selected and ranked according to their performance in the qualifying examination for the scholarship.
The scholars shall be selected and recommended by the OWWA Scholarship Committee. The approval of the Administrator is final and unappealable. In case you are interested, here are the requirements:
- OFW must have an active OWWA membership.
- The dependent-applicant must not be more than 21 years old.
- The dependent-applicant must have must have an average of at least 80%.
- The dependent-applicant must belong in the upper 20% of the batch on his/her third year in high school.
- The dependent-applicant must belong to the graduating class at the time of application.
- The dependent-applicant must pass and should belong to the top 200 passers in the examination to be conducted by DOST.
- The dependent-applicant must pass the entrance examination required in the college or university where he/she intends to enroll.
Download the application here, http://www.owwa.gov.ph/sites/default/files/files/Downloads/APPLICATION%2BFORM%2BFOR%2BEDSP%2BFOR%2BREGIONS.pdf
Or see the PDF belowAPPLICATION+FORM+FOR+EDSP+FOR+REGIONS
- Accomplished application form.
- Proof of OWWA membership.
- Official receipt of OWWA contribution.
- Birth certificate of the applicant.
- Certification from the school principal that the applicant belongs to the upper 20% of the high school graduating class and has a grade average of 80 or higher.
- High school record (Form 137).
- Certificate of good moral character issued by the school.
- Health certificate.
Availments are by voucher system and the scholarship must be availed on the specific period indicated in the vouchers. Availees are subject to regular evaluation and assessment. The scholarship grant is non-transferable and the outstanding graduates shall be recognized and awarded accordingly.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) provides training and education programs that benefit OFWs and their dependents. One such program is the Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP), which was implemented in 2004. From 2004 to 2013, a total of 380 beneficiaries graduated from this program.
However, no convincing evidence of the results of the program, especially as regards its beneficiaries, is yet available. Thus, there exists a strong need to gather insights into how the program has contributed to the career development of it scholars so as to properly manage and direct the outcomes of future education and training programs.
Hence, the OWWA commissioned the Institute for Labor Studies (ILS) to undertake a tracer study of the EDSP. Research results will support the policy and program development processes of the OWWA in line with the government’s pursuit to institutionalize a results-oriented budgeting system.
Findings show that the employment and income outcomes of the surveyed EDSP graduates are generally positive. The majority of the scholars (73%) were employed immediately after graduation and most of them (65%) remain employed today. Graduates mostly hold occupations in the Professionals and Technicians and Associate Professionals categories and have dispersed across industries that have seen high demand/positive growth in recent years.
Program Services Division OWWA
National Capital Region
2nd Floor OWWA Center
F. B. Harrison St. Cor. 7th St., Pasay City, Philippines
Telephone: 02 832 1268 or 02 551 6643
Email address: email@example.com